Mountain Transit is hiring a Full-Time Mechanic for our Big Bear Lake location. Under the direction of the Maintenance Manager, the Mechanic maintains vehicles and equipment in working order by performing routine maintenance and repair to gas- and diesel-powered bus fleet, support vehicles, and related tools and equipment in accordance with professional standards of vehicle repair.
- Substantial knowledge of industrial safety, shop safety rules/procedures and regulations applicable to a maintenance facility.
- Considerable knowledge of electrical computer controls, diagnostic computers, and other tools used in the maintenance and repair of large vehicles.
- Ability to read and understand technical information found in vehicle repair manuals, service change bulletins, including parts and supply manuals.
- Skilled in repairs of heavy-line equipment.
- Ability to perform job functions in a safe, timely, and accurate manner.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with others.
- Routinely performs preventative, routine and complex repairs to ignition, fuel, transmission, air/hydraulic brakes, suspension, steering, and cooling systems of fleet vehicles.
- Troubleshoots vehicle mechanic problems and diagnosis needed repairs.
- Maintain accurate documentation of vehicle inspections, repairs, and maintenance according to California Highway Patrol standards.
- Responds to road calls, as necessary.
- Adjusts and installs engine components.
- Maintains a clean and organized work area and shop.
- Mount and rotate tires, stud tires and as needed, installs snow chains.
- Maintains an accurate daily log of work, which includes date and description of work completed.
- Support Utility staff in keeping high standards for sanitizing and cleaning of vehicles by cleaning interior/exterior, as necessary.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a valid California Class C Commercial Driver’s License and a driving record which demonstrates adherence to safety principles and traffic laws and regulations. Must obtain a valid California Class B Drivers Permit within 15 days of being placed in this position and must obtain a valid California Class B Commercial Driver’s License within 45 days of being placed in this position. (Subject to DMV/Covid delays)
- Valid medical certificate: ability to meet the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations physical qualifications for commercial drivers.
- No criminal conviction which may, in the sole judgment of the Authority, constitute a threat to property or the safety of others.
- May bring own tools to shop.
Education and Experience:
- Must have a high school diploma or equivalent and a minimum of 3-5 years’ experience in vehicle maintenance, preferably buses.
- Multiple areas of ASE Certifications preferred.
- Graduates of Automotive Technical Schools preferred.
- Other work experience may be substituted.
- Working environment varies from usual shop working conditions to the outdoors and direct exposure to inclement weather. Work can entail frequent standing and/or walking and occasionally cleaning up bodily fluid spills.
- Must occasionally lift or move materials weighing up to 75 pounds.
- Must drive on occasion.
- May work in Crestline facility on occasion
- Must travel on occasion to attend training meetings and between facilities.
- Must work varied hours and days.
$21.78 – $36.00
- Competitive Salary
- Life Insurance
- Retirement Plan (with matching Employer contribution)