Enjoy riding all Mountain Transit Routes free on Friday, February 4th! Read the press release from San Bernardino County Transportation Authority (SBCTA):
Everyone rides for free on February 4th! Every bus, every train, everywhere in San Bernardino County.
In honor of Transit Equity Day, the San Bernardino County Transportation Authority is sponsoring free bus and train fares for everyone boarding San Bernardino County transit providers within the county.
Transit Equity Day offers a day off from paying fares for regular transit users and gives the transit-curious a nocharge chance to explore transportation options.
All five of San Bernardino County’s local bus systems will be participating in the free ride offer on February 4th, 2022.
- Victor Valley Transit Authority (VVTA)
- Mountain Transit
- Morongo Basin Transit Authority (MBTA)
- Needles Area Transit (NAT)
Inspired by San Bernardino County’s Transit Equity Day plan, Metrolink will offer free fares on all trains throughout the region.
Transit Equity Day is celebrated worldwide on February 4th to mark the birthday of Rosa Parks, who would have turned 109 this year. It was Parks, a Black seamstress in Montgomery, Alabama, who famously refused to give up her bus seat to a white passenger in December 1955. Her simple act of protest launched a local bus boycott as well as global recognition of social inequalities. As a result of her actions, transit systems and communities worldwide became more equitable.
“In addition to celebrating Parks’ memory, Transit Equity Day gives the opportunity to focus on how public transit systems make our communities more connected and accessible for everyone,” said SBCTA Board President Supervisor Curt Hagman.
Public transit improves equity in many ways, including:
- Improving health by taking cars off the road, reducing car accidents and local pollution as well as providing affordable access to health care.
- Providing a student-friendly budget option for transportation to education.
- Boosting our economy by giving workers better access to jobs and consumers better access to shopping and entertainment.
- Bettering our worldwide environment by reducing emissions.